"Wicked John and the Devil" Crossword Puzzle
by Frances Auville
Back to Folktale Activities
Reprinted with permission from Journey Through Fantasy Literature: A Resource Guide for Teachers. Vol. I. Ed. Roberta T. Herrin. Developed during a Teachers Institute sponsored by East Tennessee State University and the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1988-89.
This puzzle is based on "Wicked John and the Devil" in Richard Chase's Grandfather Tales (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1948).
Click here for ANSWERS
1. Walked the earth to find decent folk
7. John's occupation
9. John had to _______ to hell
13. Turned John away
15. Appalachian for mother
16. Caused the devils to come for John
14. Way to move boats
17. Number of times Saint Peter walked
19. Trapped the first devil
1. Trapped the second devil
2. What St. Peter said to John at the Pearly Gates
3. The way some people say "poor"
4. Not a tale ____ tell little children?
5. Trapped the old devil
6. What the devils did to hell's door when
8. Appalachian for mother
10. Appalachian for father
11. Outwitted by John
12. Number of wishes St. Peter gave to John
14. St. Peter's disguise
18. Cry of pain
Study Guides for Jack Tale Players
Wicked John in Annotated Index of Appalachian Folktales
Ashpet Crossword Puzzle
Bibliography of Appalachian Folktales
Complete List of AppLit Pages on Folklore
Creative Activities for Three Folktales, including "Wicked John and the Devil"
This page's last update: 2/17/03